Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hardcovers You Probably Didn't Know Existed Part 1

I've let a number of life's other obligations distract me from posting as regularly as I'd like.

So to catch up and avoid further humiliation, I've got a 14-part series of posts coming your way chronicling hardcovers in my collection that may have slipped under your radar. Most of these are common in trade paperback form, it's just that the hardcover editions were rare or not well publicized. In the latter case, if the book is still available for purchase, I'll provide a link to help you secure a copy of your own. Otherwise, you can try ebay or abe.com.

So without further ado, here we go.


First up we have 3 volumes of The Red Star. This comic was first published by Image, then went to Crossgen, and the 3rd volume was essentially self published Archangel Studios. It has been some years since I read any of these, but the story is about a combination sci-fi/fantasy alternate history of Soviet Russia. Full details can be seen at the comic's wikipedia entry.

As far as I can tell, it is still coming out in periodical form, and according to the publisher's forum a fourth collection will eventualy be released. What I find so interesting about this series is that despite having 3 different publishers over the course of nearly 4 years (2001 - 2004) Chrisitan Gosset & his team of collaborators managed to keep the format of each of these books remarkably consistant. Sadly, I have never seen a complete set of these for sale, but you can still get volume 2 directly from the publisher.

Next up? Alex Robinson, and more, from Top Shelf.

No comments: